GeneratorGrid.com is an independent review business. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more generators for testing. - Scott Krager
Last Updated on October 16, 2022 by Manager Access
Jan 2021 Update: Jackery has released an updated version of the 300 that includes a bi-directional USB-c charging port! This means that Jackery finally has a faster charging method as you can charge from the Wall and the USB-c port at the same. The slower charging of the Jackery had been its weakest selling point vs EcoFlow models.
Do you need a compact but functional portable power station for camping trips or power outages? You might consider the Jackery Explorer 300, which is the latest Jackery Explorer portable power station.
In this review, we’ll be taking a look at the key features of this portable power station, its functionality, uses, as well as the pros and cons.
Overview of The Newest Jackery, the Explorer 300
Jackery has recently launched two new products: the Explorer 300 and the Explorer 1000. While the Explorer 1000 is Jackery’s biggest power station, the 300 offers greater versatility and portability when compared to the Explorer 1000.
Here we’ll be focusing on the Explorer 300, which offers high functionality combined with a sleek, compact, and user-friendly design. It makes the ideal companion for camping trips, exploring the great outdoors, or as a backup option for power outages. It offers a 293Wh power capacity, and can therefore power a range of small appliances and charge as many as 6 devices at the same time.
Unboxing the Jackery 300
This is a versatile product, with many different features. You can charge and recharge your devices whenever you like – and even at the same time.
Here are the key features this new charging device offers:
- 293Wh lithium battery capacity to charge and re-charge devices.
- 300W rated power, 600W surge power.
- 1 USB-C output port (60W).
- 2 USB-A output ports.
- 2 AC output port.
- 1 car output port.
- Recharges 3 ways: Solar panels, AC Wall Outlet, or 12V car outlet.
- Lightweight (6.6 lbs).
Functions and Ease of Use
The Jackery Explorer has an easy-to-use layout, complete with a digital display panel to let you know charging percentages, input, and output. Each section of the dashboard is clear and uncomplicated. Even if it’s the first time you’ve used a portable power station, you’ll be able to find exactly what you’re looking for.
In terms of functions, many of which are shared with the larger Explorer 1000, you won’t find many devices out there with similar functionality. This device offers:
- Speedy recharge: It only takes 4.5 hours for the device to be fully recharged (from wall outlet, panels, or car outlet).
- Updated Multifunctional Output Options: With 2 AC output ports, 1 USB-C, USB-A output, and 12V car output port, your demands for multi-device charging will definitely be met.
- Solar charging: The professional MPPT technology offers faster solar recharge rates when used with solar panels. The Explorer 300 can be quickly recharged from the sun in 5.5 hours with SolarSaga 100W solar panel.
What Can You Power with Jackery Explorer 300?
The Jackery Explorer 300 is designed specifically to provide power and recharging for small devices. Once you’ve charged it up, (using a wall outlet or car output port, for example) you can go ahead and use it to charge and power a wide range of devices.
Here are some approximate charging and powering capabilities offered by the portable Jackery Explorer when it’s fully charged:
- Smartphone: 30 charges
- TV: 4.5 hours
- Laptop: 4 charges
- Fan: 15 hours
- 5-Watt light: 27 hours
- Digital camera: 54 charges
- Small to medium fridge/freezers
As you can see, this portable power station provides a lot of power output for such a small device. It’s perfect for charging all your small devices while away on a trip. If the device drains fast, you can use your car outlet to charge it back up again.
It’s important to note that the AC output port should only be used to charge/power devices that operate at less than 300-Watt. If overall wattage goes over the 300-Watt mark, the unit shuts off automatically.
The Jackery 300 vs EcoFlow River 600
I created a video, after using both the Jackery 300 and EcoFlow River 600 for about 9 months, comparing the two mid-size battery packs. I really like both of them, but check out the 3 things I like about each in the video:
Jackery is well-known for its high-quality power station units and accessories. The company prides itself on creating dependable, environmentally-friendly products for outdoor power solutions.
As with all Jackery products, this portable charging unit comes with a 24-month warranty period. The warranty guarantees that the product will be free from defective material or workmanship during normal consumer use.
Jackery 300 User Manual
Here’s an image of the Jackery 300 User Manual:
The Household Refridgerator Test: Can you power a household fridge/freezer with the Jackery 300?
Can it power a household fridge? Sadly, it did not pass the household fridge test! I tested the Jackery 300 in a real-life test of powering my fridge/freezer combo in my apartment and while it initially looked like it passed, within a few minutes both the fridge and freezer powered on, and it shut off power to protect itself. This was a 6.5 Amp fridge/freezer from Amana. Its larger cousin, the Jackery 1000 did pass the fridge test.
The Portable Freezer Test: Can you power a portable freezer with the Jackery 300?
I have an awesome portable freezer, the ARB 4×4 that I know the Jackery 300 will pass being able to power. That freezer only needs about 50W sustained, and has very little surge, so I am confident it will pass. But I will do a real-life video test soon. I’ve powered that fridge with a 150W portable battery.
What I Love and Not-So-Love
If you want to know whether this Jackery Explorer power station will measure up to your expectations, take a look at our summary of the key pros and cons of this device below.
- Durable and Portable: This product has a user-friendly design, so it’s easy to move around and take with you when you’re camping or traveling.
- Safe and Reliable: The Explorer 300 uses lithium-ion technology, making it a safe and environmentally-friendly product. It has a Battery Management System (BMS) as well as pure sine wave inverter, which protects your devices from any damage.
- Solar Capability: You can use this device with solar power charging. You can then use it as a solar generator. It takes just 5.5 hours in the sun to fully charge it. Use with the Jackery SolarSaga 100W solar panel (which is not included with this product).
- USB A Output, USB C, AC outputs give you plenty of options for charging your devices – this really will charge anything you need it to (within wattage capabilities).
- Additional Costs: While you don’t have to use solar panels with this product, it can end up being a pricey option if you choose to do so! The portable power station doesn’t come with solar panels, so you’ll need to select your own or buy the recommended option from Jackery (at a cost of $299).
- Not as powerful as other options, such as the Explorer 1000, which is designed to power larger devices. The Explorer 1000 is a much bulkier, heavier device.
Conclusion: Should You Buy It?
The Jackery Explorer 300 is a powerful device for outdoor and portable power solutions. It’s easy to use, and its lightweight design makes it ideal to carry around on your travels and adventures. We love the capability to use it as a solar generator. Because you can charge up to 6 devices at a time, it makes the perfect option for families or traveling in groups.
One thing you should definitely check before purchasing this product is the wattage use of your devices. If you want a generator that will power many high-wattage devices, you should look elsewhere (such as the Jackery Explorer 1000, which has a 1000Wh battery capacity). On the other hand, if you want to charge/power lots of smaller devices, the Explorer 300 is one of the best options on the market.
We think it’s hard to find a similar product for a price that beats the Jackery Explorer 300. So, if it suits your needs and requirements, we definitely recommend going ahead and purchasing this powerful portable power station from Jackery.
Scott Krager purchased generatorgrid.com in the summer of 2020 and quickly began to buy every generator under the sun! He currently has over a dozen generators and the number is growing quickly. He lives in Portland, OR near his family and friends.