Last Updated on September 5, 2020 by Scott
As an RV owner, I know the struggle of getting the best cell phone signal. Out on the road, you can end up in remote places, far from cell towers. These situations are when a cell phone booster for RV comes in handy to ensure you have service no matter where the journey takes you.
Table of Contents
- What Is an RV Cell Phone Booster?
- The Types of RV Cell Phone Signal Boosters Available
- Do RV Cell Boosters Work?
- Is a Cell Phone Booster for RV Worth It?
- My Top Five Cell Phone Signal Boosters for RV
- Final Thoughts
Cell phone signal boosters take the existing RV cell signal and help to amplify it. You can use them to reinforce the signal and achieve a more stable connection on calls.
An RV cell phone booster kit will typically include the cell signal booster, an inside antenna, an outside antenna, and power supply cables.
The way an RV cell phone booster kit works is that the external antenna will receive signals and transmissions from nearby cell towers. This signal passes through the cell phone booster, amplifying the signal strength. From there, the signal passes through to the inside antenna, creating better service for your RV cell phone.
A signal booster kit is easy to install and use. When you’re in remote areas or regions with spotty service, you can use it to improve your connectivity.
Connecting calls isn’t the only use of an RV cell phone signal booster kit, either. It can help to improve the clarity of calls. Also, it can enhance data streaming throughout your journey, no matter how remote your location.
An RV cell phone signal can be unpredictable. Proximity to cell towers is one factor that affects it. Weather and environmental conditions also can interfere with your RV cell phone signal. Besides external conditions, factors like the existing RV antenna also can impact the qualify of your service.
An RV cell phone signal booster kit can account for all of these. You just need to know which one to use.
RV cell phone boosters are not one-size-fits-all. There are various types. Sometimes, phone providers, such as Boost Mobile, will offer their own signal boosters. However, the ones available from cellular providers aren’t always the most efficient.
I like the boosters made by companies whose sole focus is producing the best type of signal boosting devices. Specific brands use higher quality materials for the antenna, booster, and other parts to enhance signal amplification. Also, generic signal boosters aren’t always suitable for use in RVs.
Before I get into the booster that I like to use, let’s discuss the different types of devices. There are two categories for this type of device: wireless cell signal booster and cradle cell signal boosters. The best RV cell phone booster for you depends on your requirements.
Wireless RV cell phone boosters boost the signal of your calls without requiring you to connect your phone to the device. Wireless options offer the best versatility. Simply install the kit, and you can enjoy the strengthened cell phone signal.
A wireless RV cell phone booster will also improve the signal of all devices within the coverage area. If you aren’t traveling alone, this extended coverage comes in handy. The device will help amplify your cell phone signal and all signals onboard the RV. Your family members won’t have to crowd around the device to use its boosting capabilities.
In an RV, the ability to boost your signal no matter where you are within the vehicle is a huge plus.
Cradle RV cell phone signal boosters operate in a slightly more restrictive way. To use the booster, you have to place the phone within the cradle of the RV cell phone signal booster. Your phone will usually attach to the device by a wire. You will need to keep the cell phone signal booster plugged into a socket to reinforce your signal.
You can only boost the signal of one device with a single cradle cell phone signal booster. Compared to the wireless cell phone signal boosters, they are less accessible for multiple people.
However, the cradle cell phone boosters make up for limited accessibility by price. Cradle RV cell phone signal boosters may be the best choice if you’re on a budget.
The lower price doesn’t mean a lower signal quality. You can still get the best outcomes without breaking the bank.
An RV cell phone booster does help to amplify your cellular connectivity. However, the efficiency of a booster phone device depends on a few critical factors.
Finding the best cell phone boosters doesn’t have to be mission impossible. You don’t need to be an expert in RV cell phone technology to find the best cellular signal boosters.
Keep the following points in mind when shopping for the best cell phone booster for RV.
When looking for the best ways to boost your signal, the size of your RV may not seem relevant, but it is. Wireless cell phone signal boosters provide varying signal coverage. The bigger the RV, the more extensive area you need your cell phone signal booster to cover.
The cost may not fluctuate too much from one cell phone booster to another, regardless of the varying coverage areas. However, you’ll notice immediately if the cell phone booster doesn’t provide adequate coverage. You need to bear in mind the coverage area when shopping for an RV cell phone booster.
The efficiency of your cell phone booster also can depend on your antenna. With most cell phone signal boosters, there are two antennae. One antenna fits on the inside of your RV, and the other antenna is for outdoor use.
The function of these two antennae is simple. The external RV antenna is responsible for sending and receiving information from the nearest cell tower. The internal RV antenna interprets and transfers all of that data to your device. Together, they create a reinforced cell signal that lessens the likelihood of dropped calls.
Here’s where things get slightly technical. The measurements for the strength of your RV cell phone signal uses the unit dBi, which stands for decibels relative to an isotropic radiator. Don’t worry; you don’t need to remember that. All you need to know is that the higher the dBi score on your cellular signal booster, the stronger your RV cell phone signal. This dBi score is also what those in the industry call the cell phone booster gain.
The crucial part: Any RV cell phone signal booster you buy should have a maximum gain of at least five dBi. Lower than that and your RV cell phone booster isn’t likely to help you out in any significant way.
Also, consider the size and appearance of your RV antenna. On the open road, high external antennas won’t be a problem. However, in dense urban areas, you might run into issues with an overly tall antenna.
Perhaps the absolute crux of the matter: the strength of your signal transmitted by the cell phone booster. A cell phone signal booster can amplify your signal strength by up to 32 times. There’s a lot to like in that statistic, especially if you like traveling further afield in your RV.
As much as cell phone boosters are helpful, they aren’t like miracle workers. An RV cell phone booster only enhances the strength of the existing phone signal.
Therefore, if you end up somewhere with weak service, you need to purchase a more robust cell phone booster. Remember, though, even with the best cell phone booster, the location is still integral. Consider this before setting off in your RV. If needs be, mark out locations on your map where you will be the most remote.
Part of the appeal of owning an RV is the ability to travel further. But a lack of service can mar the experience, especially when you have to deal with dropped calls.
It’s not only a matter of having service so that you and your family can watch the programs they like or talk with friends. Adequate service can be essential in case your RV breaks down, or you end up in an emergency. With an RV cell phone booster, you can boost the signal and ensure better security measures.
In short, if you’re wondering whether a cell phone booster for RV is worth it, I would say it’s more than worth it—it’s an essential device. A booster is your best bet for consistent, quality service, and it’s something you can use to help prepare for the worst.
Now you know what you need to look out for when shopping for the best cell phone booster, it’s time I showed you the ones that I like. Below, I’ve shared my top five picks of booster for mobile. I factored in considerations such as coverage area, RV compatibility, 4G LTE capabilities, and ease of use in my research. Let’s get into it.
The HiBoost Travel 4G LTE 2.0 is a signal booster that keeps you connected throughout your journey, wherever you are.
One of the standout features of the HiBoost Travel 4G LTE is its numerous compatibilities. From 4G LTE down to 2G, t is applicable with all US and Canadian phone service providers.
A unique feature of this phone booster is the HiBoost app (rights reserved). It lets you have total control over your optimization. You can see, in real-time, the strength and performance of the phone signal booster.
Are you in an area where you may not need such a strong booster? Feel free to tone it down. Are you in a remote, rural zone? Crank it up to the max, and you’re good to go. The app comes with online support to ensure you’re always receiving the best performance from your booster.
HiBoost also offers a three-year warranty on their booster products. If you aren’t satisfied, you’re wholly eligible for a refund. Beyond phones, this booster device can help with tablets, notebooks, and Wi-Fi hotspots all simultaneously. It’s an impressive kit.
- Broadband adaptability from 4G LTE through to 2G
- Compatible with all US and Canadian service providers
- High-performance outdoor antenna
- Proprietary app for live data readings, support, and other optimization features
- Backed by a committed customer service operation, including online app chat, phone, and email
- Improves signal even in areas where connecting calls is nearly impossible
- Automated gain control for optimal signal strength
- Can improve the cell phone battery life
- May require closer proximity to the internal antenna
- No information provided regarding compatibility with 5G in the future
- 【TRAVEL 4G 2.0 SIGNAL BOOSTER】Peace of mind at travelling or commuting with uninterrupted navigation and clear calls for roadside assistance. Maximize road trips by ensuring that you can stay connected to your cellular devices.
- 【IMPROVE ALL US AND CANADIAN CARRIERS】cell phone signal booster amplifies 4G LTE, 3G and 2G for Passenger RV Caravan Motor Home. compatible with all US and Canadian carriers which include AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, Straight Talk, U.S. Cellular and many more.
- 【HIBOOST APP HELPS FINE TUNE MAX POWER】HiBoost App helps fine tune max power and see real-time data of what the signal booster is doing, and let you squeeze every last power from the cell booster. Even 1dB more power is precious when you suffer from no signals. Further HiBoost APP online-support assures you get the absolute best possible set up and performance.
The weBoost RV Connect 65 signal booster for RV is fully compatible with all US mobile networks. No matter who your service provider is, you can benefit from its signal enhancement.
The Connect 65 cell phone booster eliminates dropouts on phone calls. It increases voice quality, improves audio and video streaming, and enhances hotspot capability. The weBoost RV external antenna is on a 25′ tall telescoping pole to catch signals from even the furthest cell towers.
The main thing I like about this weBoost RV device is that multiple people can use it at the same time. Everyone on board can use the cell phone booster, regardless of their service provider.
The weBoost Connect RV also boasts longevity, and the company has already prepared for the rollout of 5G. Additionally, weBoost claims its phone booster can adapt to any new service developments that arrive within the next decade.
The setup is simple and takes around ten minutes. There’s no complicated phone booster manual. It’s also easy to take down and pack away for when you park.
- Fully compatible with all US phone signal providers including Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and more
- Actively provides a mobile booster for the best cell phone signal strength, streaming, and voice quality
- Possesses a powerful external RV antenna to receive signals even from distant cell towers
- Easy setup, installation, and takedown, all of which you can complete in as little as ten minutes
- Designed with DIY installation to make installation easier, entirely without tools
- Boasts an enhanced battery life so you can stay connected for longer
- Fully FCC approved
- May not perform as well in crowded areas such as cities
- The antenna mast is not as durable as I would like
- BEST SIGNAL AT ANY CAMPSITE — The weBoost Connect RV 65 delivers the strongest signal available for fewer dropped calls, better voice quality, faster data speeds, increased hotspot capability, and improved audio and video streaming while parked — even in remote areas
- CARRIER COMPATIBILITY— With multi-user functionality, everyone in your RV can enjoy stronger cell signal from all U.S. networks and carriers such as Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular
- IMPRESSIVE RANGE — Powerful outside directional antenna on a 25’-tall telescoping pole maximizes signal reception from the nearest cell tower. Only takes 10 minutes to set up and take down the pole and outside antenna when parked.
Another signal booster from weBoost, this device operates in a slightly different way.
The weBoost Drive X RV booster has one of the furthest reaches of any of the best cell phone boosters that weBoost sells. Its range can reach cell towers up to 33% further away than other cell phone boosters.
It provides the best cell phone signal, improved streaming quality, and enhanced voice audio on all phone calls.
The weBoost Drive X RV booster is also fully compatible with all US phone service providers, and multiple users can be on it at the same time. It ensures service for everyone in the RV.
I also like that the weBoost Drive X RV booster antenna features a modular design. You can adjust it to varying height levels. With this design, you can have full control over its performance.
- weBoost Drive allows for multiple users to receive enhanced signal strength at once
- Strengthened battery life means you can stay connected for longer
- Fully compatible with all US service providers, including Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.
- Easy installation that requires no tools, meaning no holes drilled into your RV
- Fully FCC approved
- The unique weBoost modular antenna allows for performance optimization, meaning you can secure your signal, whether you’re in the city or the open plains.
- An external antenna built from sturdy, solid material
- Inconsistent signal strength
- Coverage area not as large as other boosters on the market, meaning you might have to sit closer to the internal antenna
- STRONGER CELL SIGNAL — Capable of reaching towers at distances up to 33% farther range than the Drive Sleek, the weBoost Drive X RV signal booster offers fewer dropped calls, better voice quality, faster mobile internet, improved audio and video streaming, and greater hotspot capability — even in remote areas
- CARRIER COMPATIBILITY — With multi-user functionality, every passenger can enjoy stronger cell signal from Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular and all carriers
- MODULAR-ANTENNA DESIGN — Drive X RV’s rugged outside antenna can be installed using several mounting configurations as well as varying height levels to help optimize its performance
Standing at a significantly lower price point than any other booster on this list, the ANYCALL booster for RV is the best budget cell phone booster. However, the lower price doesn’t mean lower booster quality.
As per the other boosters for RV, it is fully compatible with all US service providers. It also enhances the signal of 4G LTE through to 2G broadbands, improving both voice quality and data streaming features.
Calls are less likely to dropout regardless of whether you’re driving or parked. The signal booster also actively assesses incoming signals to provide you with optimal results.
It can support multiple devices at once, which is a relief if you’re traveling with multiple friends and family. It is also easy to install and take down without the need for any tools or complicated instructions.
The ANYCALL device is also easy to transfer to other vehicles such as SUVs, trucks, boats, etc.
- Most affordable RV cell phone booster that doesn’t compromise on the quality of signal boosting
- Compatible with all US service providers
- Easy installation and takedown
- Lightweight, transferrable device
- Fully FCC certified
- 30-day money-back guarantee and 5-year manufacturer warranty
- Automatic gain control, ensuring optimal performance regardless of location
- Functional in both moving and stationary locations
- Allows for multiple users at once
- The signal increase may vary significantly between providers
- Signal improvement outside the vehicle but minimal amplification inside the RV
- 【Compatible With All US Networks】- Works on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Sprint, Straight Talk, Cricket Wireless etc. 700/850/1700/1900MHz (Band 12/13/17/5/4/2).
- 【Better Voice and Data】- Enhances 2g 3g voice, text and 4g data speed signals to get fewer dropped and missed calls, improve voice quality, faster uploads and downloads in the vehicle and small house(RV/Motorhome, truck, van, boats, bus, car, small cabin and camp) regardless of whether you are in motion or stationary.
- 【Automatic Gain Control】- The booster can detect the level of available incoming signal, then adjust itself for best performance to provide you with the strongest signal. Supports multiple users simultaneously.
Right off the bat, what stands out about the SoldRF-RV signal booster is its durability. It can withstand all weathers that might hit your rooftop, from temperatures as low as -30F to 160F. A robust cell phone booster this tough is a big plus, especially since you can’t guarantee clear skies throughout your journey.
It boasts a communication distance of between 5-8 miles from the nearest cell towers. It functions via one external antenna and two internal, making it unique among its competitors. The dual interior antennae improve the booster coverage area, meaning whether you’re in the cabin or the living quarters, you will have a secure signal.
SolidRF-RV also claims its cell phone signal booster can strengthen cell signals by as much as 100x through its unique Tru5 technology. It promotes better battery life of up to two hours for your cell phone while it is on standby. This device is a little pricier than other options, but it stands out in terms of performance.
- Unique dual-interior booster antennae bolster the strength of cell signal within the RV
- The SolidRF-RV Tru5 technology (rights reserved) supports high-speed downloads and enhanced quality of calls
- Fully FCC-approved
- Automatic gain adjustment
- Powerful battery life and improves the battery life of cell phones while on standby
- Reduced electromagnetic radiation emitted compared to other cell phone booster devices
- Higher price point
- Difficult to follow user’s manual
- On Roof All Weather(-30F to 160F) Mobile Booster Maximum Communication Distance Range Up To 5 8 Miles Suitable For Remote Area Work For Band 12/13/5/2/4/25 Compatible With All US & Canada Carriers Including AT&T Verizon T-mobile Sprint U S Cellular Bell Telus Rogers Fido Sasktel MTS Etc Across North America
- Dual-Interior Antenna Serves As A Complete In-vehicle Connectivity Solution Whether On The Road Or Stationary Cover Two Areas Inside The RV Both The Living Area And The Cab Have a Stable Signal Coverage Effect Applicable To The Following 2 RV Models Toterhome Sport Utility RV
- Unique Tru5 Technology Separate Band12 And Band 13 Maximum Supportable Data Download/Upload Speed Up To 40Mbps For AT&T/T-mobile And Verizon The Same Time Boosts Voice Text And Data Signals The Same Time Reliable Cell Signal And More Consistent Data Speeds Faster Data Downloads Perfect Cell Phone Signal Booster For RV Over 30 Feet Enhance Signal Up To 100x (20dB) Multi User Concurrent Smart Phone Pad Data Modem All Connected Directly Same Time
Though all five of my top picks are excellent RV signal boosters, the best cell phone booster for RV is the HiBoost Travel 4G LTE 2.0.
With its app and extensive customer service, HiBoost (rights reserved) designed its RV signal booster with the user firmly in mind. I appreciate that even the novice technology user can efficiently work this device. The auto-gain control ensures you have optimal signal efficiency as you move in and out of different service areas. With its high-performance antenna suitable for even the worst outdoor conditions, the signal boost is even more reliable. The wireless booster also gives you full flexibility of usage and excellent coverage range. Plus, with its compatibility with all broadband and mobile providers, the device is ideal for multi-person usage.
Searching for the best booster can feel like navigating a maze. I hope this guide has brought you closer to making an informed purchase. Finding a product that you like can take time, but you’ve got a headstart by doing your research.
Last update on 2020-09-30 Affiliate links & images from Amazon Product Advertising API