GeneratorGrid.com is an independent review business. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more generators for testing. - Scott Krager
Last Updated on October 16, 2022 by Manager Access
Let’s talk about the benefits of a lithium battery power station. The best option for travel or camping, these lightweight and portable units are fantastic to have around when you need instant access to electricity. Some people even refer to them as “portable wall sockets”. They can be used with just about any electronic device that either runs on batteries or plugs into an outlet!
Table of Contents
- Features and Functions
- What Can It Power?
- What Can’t It Power?
- How Big Is The Jackery 160 vs The Goal Zero Yeti 150 Or 200x?
- Jackery Explorer 160 Warranty & Extras
- Customer Ratings & Reviews
- Pros & Cons
- Jackery Explorer 160 vs Goal Zero Yeti 200x. Which should I buy?
- Verdict: Should You Buy It?
- Jackery Explorer 160 User Manual
- Jackery Explorer 160
One of the top selections happens to be the Jackery Explorer 160! This type of power source gives you the option to recharge in three ways:
- A 12V car outlet
- An AC outlet
- Using a 60W solar panel
If you choose the last power source option, the running costs are free! Solar panels are great options when looking for a cost-effective way to re-charge electronics while hiking or enjoying outdoor photography. The last thing you need is to get to the top of the hill only to find your camera is dead! With a portable power station, you’ll never have to deal with this type of mishap.
In this guide, we’ll look at the features and functions of this gadget, what it can and can’t power, warranty information, and what customers have to say! This will help you determine if this is the right power station for you. Let’s begin!
The Jackery Explorer 160 is a portable, lightweight power station fit for many recharging needs. One of the greatest features of the Jackery Explorer 160 is that its power can come from the most sustainable source of all — the sun! This charging method is possible with the optional addition of a solar panel. It can also get its power from an AC outlet or a 12V car charger, which adds to its versatility.
Let’s take a look at some of its main features and functions:
- Weight: Compact and portable, it only weighs 3.84 lbs
- Ports: Multiple ports are included to allow several devices to charge its battery simultaneously
- Charging Options: AC outlet, 12V car outlet, or optional 60w solar panel
- Battery Type: Lithium
- Color: Gray and orange
- Warranty: 2-year Jackery warranty (includes battery)
- Additional Features: Includes a built-in flashlight (LED) with an SOS mode and LCD display screen that notifies on units charge/discharge status and power use
Some of the more popular features include the solar panel option and multiple charging ports. The solar panel option makes for a sustainable recharging method which is especially helpful if you’re going off the grid. Also, multiple charging ports means the family won’t have to fight over whose device gets charged first — they can all charge at once!
With the Jackery Explorer 160, you won’t need to worry about wasting any power as each port has an on/off switch. With its compact, portable nature, built-in flashlight, and SOS mode for enhanced safety, the Jackery power station is an asset for adventurers.
Now that we’ve looked at the features the Explorer 160 has to offer, it’s time to look at what this portable power station can charge. It’s important to note that it is limited to 100W Continuous, and 150W Peak, meaning your devices’ rated input power should not exceed 100W. The power consumption varies depending on the device being charged.
With this lithium-ion battery-powered device, you’ll be able to charge the following:
- Smartphones, tablets, & laptops
- Cameras & drones
- Mini fridges, radios, & small fans
The versatility of this device means anyone can find a use for it. There are very few people in today’s society without a smartphone, tablet, and/or laptop for work or personal use, so the 167-watt Jackery Explorer 160 is handy for everyone, especially those who love the outdoors.
Those partaking in outdoor photography can use this power station to charge their camera’s battery to ensure they get the perfect shot. If you are heading out on a camping trip, then a small portable power station that can charge radios, mini-fridges, small fans, and drones is exactly the addition you need.
Now, this little guy can’t power it all! It’s not able to support devices over 100W. This includes toasters, CPAPs, heaters, electric drills, and blenders, among other similar appliances. No vacuuming your carpets by Jackery 160 power!
How Big Is The Jackery 160 vs The Goal Zero Yeti 150 Or 200x?
I unboxed a new Jackery 160 to see what was inside. I also compare it in size and weight to the Goal Zero Yeti 200x and Goal Zero 150:
Here is a picture of the warranty on the Jackery Explorer 160:
The Jackery Explorer 160 portable power station is more than just the unit itself. Jackery is known for being reliable, and this is helped by the 2-year warranty that comes with the Explorer 160. Jackery promises that the Explorer 160 will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal consumer use for the warranty period of 24 months.
If you receive your Jackery Explorer portable power station and are unhappy with it in any way, Jackery offers a 30-day money-back guarantee (when purchased directly from Jackery).
To help you use the Jackery Explorer 160 to its fullest potential, a detailed user manual is available for download online and is also included with the product upon purchase. Along with the Explorer 160 and its manual, comes an AC Adaptor, DC to Car Adaptor cable, and a Car Adaptor Charger.
The warranty, money-back guarantee, and user manual can all help give you peace of mind that you will either get a top-notch product that works as stated or your money back. This makes for a no-lose situation.
All the reviews posted on the Jackery website for the Explorer 160 are extremely positive, with none dipping below the coveted 5 start rating.
On Amazon, the rating barely dips below 5 (4.8), and this is from over 1000 reviews posted by verified customers. The consistency in consumer opinion of the Jackery Explorer 160 shows the true quality of this portable power station. A whopping 85% of all the Amazon reviews on this product are accompanied by a 5-star rating.
Ratings and reviews posted by customers consistently hit the following points:
- How useful the different USB C port and USB A port options are for different devices and cables.
- The versatile lithium-ion battery, and the sustainability of power via solar panels.
- People also find it handy that the Explorer 160 can be charged via an AC outlet or car charger in case solar power isn’t an option.
On top of camping trips, hiking adventures, and other fun activities where the Jackery Explorer 160 portable power station comes in handy, it can also be very useful for emergency situations. Reviewers from different parts of the country purchased this device in preparation for major storms and disasters, so they always have a reliable source of power.
Overall, the online reviews for this portable power station are overwhelmingly positive, which is a great sign in terms of how helpful you are likely to find it.
As with anything in life, the Jackery Explorer 160 portable power station comes with its pros and cons. Let’s take a look at the positive and negative aspects of this product:
- Multiple Charging Options. This device includes two USB A ports and one USB C. With the USB C port, modern electronics will receive power. This 167-watt gadget allows multiple devices to charge at once and its lithium battery can be recharged hundreds of times via solar panel, AC outlet, or car adapter.
- Generous Warranty. A two-year warranty comes included (includes battery), along with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Not to mention, free shipping is offered!
- Lightweight. Only weighs 3.84lbs. This makes it extremely useful for camping trips, emergency situations, and beyond!
- Highly Rated. This device is highly rated and reviewed by hundreds of verified customers.
- Extras. Includes a built-in flashlight, SOS mode for safety, screen to monitor usage, and on/off switches for output charging ports.
- Doesn’t Support All Devices. This gadget can’t support or charge devices more than 100W. This includes toasters, electric drills, blenders, hair dryers, and more!
- Only One USB C Port. This means that only one device with the modern USB C port design can charge at once. And only a 30W output vs 60W like on the Jackery 1000 or 300.
- Color Combinations. Only available in one combination: gray and orange.
Jackery Explorer 160 vs Goal Zero Yeti 200x. Which should I buy?
I have the Goal Zero Yeti 200x in addition to the Jackery 160. Both are solid products, but if I had to pick the best overall value, I would go with the Jackery. You pay quite a premium for the Goal Zero name. If you need a USB-C 60W output for a Macbook Air or similar device, you might look at Goal Zero. But it costs more than double the 160, for only slightly more Watt-hours. If you really need a USB-C 60W output and want a still pretty compact device, check out the new Jackery Explorer 300.
You can’t go wrong price-wise, or size-wise, with the 160. Of all the Jackery lines, I like the 160, 300, and 1,000. I would avoid the older 240 and 500 models.
If you’re in the market for a lightweight portable power station, the Jackery Explorer 160 is a great candidate to consider. It is highly versatile in the number of devices it can power, and this is helped by the inclusion of the modern USB C port and the lithium-ion battery. While there is only one of these types of ports, there are two USB-A ports for other devices.
For such a small product, the Jackery Explorer 160 packs a lot of power. This is helped greatly by the lithium battery which can withhold charge longer than other battery types.
Overall, this product seems to deliver exactly what it claims to, and the customer reviews back this up. With 85% of reviews on Amazon being 5-star rated, the customer experience with the Explorer 160 power station speaks for itself.
So, to answer the question “should you buy it?”, the final verdict is, yes! If you have been looking for a portable power station that’s versatile in its charging abilities in terms of both input and output, then the Jackery Explorer 160 could be the perfect option for you.
Jackery Explorer 160 User Manual
Here are pictures of the Users Manual that comes with the Jackery Explorer 160:
Scott Krager purchased generatorgrid.com in the summer of 2020 and quickly began to buy every generator under the sun! He currently has over a dozen generators and the number is growing quickly. He lives in Portland, OR near his family and friends.