Last Updated on August 2, 2020 by Matt
This post is my take and review of a popular inverter generator that many are using to power small appliances to get them through a storm or to even power their tailgate parties.
Today, we are going to look at the Yamaha EF2400iSHC inverter generator.
Table of Contents
- Functions & Ease Of Use
- Noise Level – Is It Quiet?
- Gas Consumption & Capacity
- Service, Manual & Warranty
- Yamaha EF2400iSHC Portable Generator VS the Competition
- Online Reviews And Ratings
- Potential Problems And Known Issues
- My Opinion: Should You Buy It?
- Yamaha EF2400ISCH
This 2400 watt generator is a heavy duty, easy to use inverter generator that can easily power appliances as large as a refrigerator or several small appliances with smaller wattage demands.
Functions & Ease Of Use
Starting your Yamaha EF2400iSHC inverter generator is easy with the help of the all in one startup panel found on the generator.
The on/off knob, choke, and recoil start cord are all conveniently located next to the control panel for easy use.
To the right of the startup panel you will find the all in one control panel which houses all of the easy to use features of this generator.
- Generator Power; Brushless Inverter AC Generator; 171 CC/ OHV/ Air-Cooled/ Single Cylinder/ 4-Stroke Engine; Gasoline/ 1.6 Gallons Fuel Tank Capacity; 2000 Watt Rating/ 2400 Watt Max; 120 Volt AC/ 12 Volt DC; 16.7 Amps AC Rating/ 20 Amps AC Max/ 8 Amps DC Rating; 8.6 Hour Runtime At 1/4 Rated Load/ Noise Level 53 - 60 Decibels; Portable; 75 Pound Weight; 20.8 Inch Length x 16-1/2 Inch Width x 18.2 Inch Height; With 12 Volt Battery Charge Cord
- High Current Output. Fuel Gauge: See Fuel Level At-A-Glance. Pulse Width Modulation: Provides Power That Is As Clean, Or Cleaner Than Commercial Power
- Smart Throttle Feature: Adjusts The Engine Speed To Precisely Match The Load. OHV Engine: Improved Efficiency, Increased Reliability, Quieter Operation
This generator features 2 X 120V electrical receptacles that can be used to power any type of appliance, power tool, and any other 3 prong 120v equipped item.
A12V DC outlet is also found on this panel for battery charging.
To keep you in the know of how your generator is performing, a 3 led light panel notifies you of any problems.
- The first light will be a low oil indicator light. This light only illuminates when your generator is low on oil so that you can keep your generator lasting for years to come.
- The second light is a green AC light which stays illuminated when your generator is operating properly.
- The last light is an overload light. If your generator becomes overloaded, it will trip a breaker and illuminate this light to notify you that your generator has been overloaded so that you can adjust wattage demands.
There is also a main power on and off switch on this panel for easy control of your generator’s power.
One feature we are disappointed to not see is the capability of this generator to be used in parallel with another generator.
However, this generator has gotten over 100 reviews on Amazon at the time of the publication which indicates that it is quickly rising to the top of consumer’s list of favorite generators.
Noise Level – Is It Quiet?
One of the most popular questions when looking at portable generators is how loud is considered loud?
As an industry standard, generator’s noise levels are measured at 23 feet from the generator.
While most generators operate at around 70-80 decibels on average at this distance, this generator operates much quieter.
The noise rating from about 23 feet away is about 53-60 dB on this generator, depending on the amount of load.
For reference, this is about as loud or just slightly louder than a regular conversation.
This is a huge advantage as most people will be using this generator during a blackout in a neighborhood or at a tailgate party where noise levels must be considered.
If noise is a major concern to you, have a look at my post comparing quietness for the most popular portable inverters: Top 10 Quietest Portable Generators (Under 65dB) – Reviews
Gas Consumption & Capacity
- Rated Amps: 16.7 Amps @ 120 Volts
- AC Maximum Output Starting Watts: 2400W
- AC Rated Output Running Watts: 2000W
- Rated AC Voltage: 120 VAC
- Frequency: 60 Hz
This generator features a 1.6 gallon fuel tank, a much larger fuel tank than most generators in its power range.
This allows the Yamaha inverter to power at 25% loud for up to 11 hours.
Yamaha states that this generator is strong enough to power most 13,500 BTU RV air conditioners, microwave/convection ovens, or even large hair dryers.
The Yamaha EF2400iS is an Inverter
A digital inverter module converts the raw power that is generated from DC to AC power. The inverter function means that you can use it to power sensitive appliances and electronics.
Service, Manual & Warranty
Chances are, you have heard of the brand Yamaha at some time of your life.
They are a widely known name in the motocross industry and have made a name for themselves in the generator industry as well.
Yamaha fully backs their generators with a 3 year limited warranty that protects against any defect in material or workmanship.
This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear. More information can be found on their warranty page on their site.
As with any generator, I suggest looking over the Yamaha 2400IS owner’s manual both before you buy and before you operate the generator to keep you and your new investment safe.
Yamaha EF2400iSHC Portable Generator VS the Competition
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC compares quite well with the competition offering some features that some of the most popular generators do not have.
The large fuel tank, longer run times, and quiet operating noise levels are just a few of the features that make this generator stand out.
EF2400iSHC VS Westinghouse iGen2200
However, the EF2400iSHC outshines the iGen in a few important categories.
- Power Ratings – The EF2400iSHC takes the cake with it’s 2400 starting watts and 2000 running watts as compared to the 2200/1800 wattage ratings of the Westinghouse.
- Noise Levels – Even though the Yamaha produces more wattage, they both still operate at around 52-53 db at 25% load.
- Power Outlets – Both of these generators features 2 120v AC 20 amp outlets for easy use with any home appliance or power tools.
The only difference is that the Westinghouse features dual USB plugs whereas the Yamaha has integrated a DC battery charging plug.
EF2400IS VS Honda EU2200i
We are going to look at how the EF2400iSHC generator compares up against Honda’s newly redesigned ED2200i.
- Power Ratings – The EF2400iSHC outperforms the Honda Generator by 200 starting watts making a great choice for the added cost.
- Noise Levels – As far as noise levels, the Honda may have the Yamaha beat, operating as low as 47db.
- Power Outlets – Looking at the power supplies for each generator, you will notice that they both offer the same amount of 120v AC outlets and a single 12V DC battery charging outlet.
The only difference is that the Honda has outlets for parallel connection for additional power sources.
Online Reviews And Ratings
Racking in over 100 reviews on Amazon at the time of this article, it’s easy to see that the Yamaha EF2400iSHC portable generator is popular among consumers
With over 85% of these reviews being 4-5 stars, you can rest assured that this generator inverter performs up to, if not beyond the consumer standards.
As with any generator, many no start problems could result from not understanding how this generator works.
I highly suggest getting familiar with the owners manual both before you purchase and before using this generator.
Potential Problems And Known Issues
While there are not many problems that we have seen that are a common occurance, judging by the one star reviews, problems seem to be sporadic.
Even a quick search online for potential problems or known issues turned up nothing too alarming with many reviews revolving around either missing parts or no-start conditions.
Both which are covered by Yamaha’s 3 year warranty.
My Opinion: Should You Buy It?
Before making your purchasing decision the Yamaha EF2400iSHC, it is highly suggested to research the wattage demands on the appliances you will be using with this generator (You can use my free calculator to estimate your needs).
As previously stated, Yamaha suggests that the wattage output of this inverter generator should power most 12,500BTU RV air conditioners, microwaves, convection ovens, and large hair dryers.
This is a huge advantage for getting through your next blackout.
You may also want to think about where you will be using this generator as noise levels can disturb neighbors.
This Yamaha generator operates at a very low noise level, so this should not be something you will need to worry about with this generator.
For those wanting to power larger appliances, you may want to look into a larger 5000 Watts generator as this inverter does not have the capabilities of parallel connections.
This generator does weigh in a little heavier than most and will most likely require a helping hand when moving your generator.
Yamaha has this covered with two easy to use handles for an easy two person transportation.
Although the price tag may scare a few of you, the 3 year warranty and lack of negative reviews suggests that this is a great investment with low maintenance.
Last update on 2020-08-03 Affiliate links & images from Amazon Product Advertising API