GeneratorGrid.com is an independent review business. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more generators for testing. - Scott Krager
Last Updated on October 18, 2022 by Manager Access
Unpredictable weather can lead to power outages, and many people want to invest in a generator to make sure that their power supply is stable if this happens to them. We’ve created this buyer’s guide to help you understand how generators work and know whether the Predator 2000 generator is right for your needs.
Camping and outdoor activities are also very popular in the US, so portable generators like the Predator 2000 can be handy. They help to power lights and other tools if you venture into the great outdoors.
This review and buyer’s guide will tell you all about the Predator 2000 and help you decide whether it’s the right generator for you.
Table of Contents
- Predator 2000 Generator Features
- Special Features of the Predator 2000
- Functions and Benefits
- What Will a Predator 2000 Run?
- Predator 2000 Harbor Freight Warranty
- How Much Oil Does a Predator 2000 Generator Take?
- How Does the Predator 2000 Rate?
- Market Comparison
- Pros and Cons of the Predator Generator 2000
- Verdict: Are Predator Generators Any Good?
- Predator 2000
Predator 2000 Generator Features
It’s crucial to know the Predator generators’ key facts and features before you consider buying one. We’ve created a quick guide to the Predator generator 2000 so that you can easily see if it’s the right piece of equipment for you.
- This Predator generator has a 12-hour run time, if the generator is running at 25% capacity.
- There is a 2 000 watts starting power and 1600 running watts. The capped starting watts means it can power delicate electrical appliances, unlike some generators.
- The Predator generator has a low oil indicator that lets you know if the engine needs more fuel.
- The generator has a recoil start.
- There is a 79 7cc air-cooled gas engine.
- The fuel type is unleaded gasoline.
- The predator generator has a 90-day warranty with a two-year warranty on the air control system.
- The unit has fully enclosed, high-impact housing, making it incredibly durable.
Special Features of the Predator 2000
Nobody likes to lug around a bulky generator. There’s always been a need to have a compact inverter generator that still has a good amount of power. The Predator 2000 offers just that!
It’s lightweight, weighing only 47 pounds. In comparison, the average generator could weigh anywhere from 50 up to 100 pounds. A single person could move this unit, while most other generators require more than one person to lift them.
Its outstanding features include:
- Built-in fuel gauge
- Overload protection
- An automatic low oil shut off and a low oil indicator
- Spark arrestor to protect against flying sparks in a wooded area.
- 79.7 cc OHV 4-stroke engine
- Fuel: gasoline
- 1600W running watts
- 2000W starting watts
- Parallel capabilities — can connect to a compatible unit for more power
- Traditional pull-start mechanism
- 1-gallon capacity
- Run time: up to 12 hours with a fuel tank
- Fuel consumption: about 0.08 GPH
- Gives a clean sine wave — 5% THD (Total Harmonic Disruption)
- 2 AC outlets on the control panel: Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) and 1 DC outlet with a 12V 8A receptacle to charge batteries
- Starting sequence provided on top, easy to read, and helpful for beginners
- Recoil start
- Air-cooled OHV engine
Functions and Benefits
There are several features that Predator includes to make their portable inverter generator better than others on the market. The reliable gas tank and electronic overload protection give you more power while remaining super quiet and keeping your electronics safe.
The 2000 model is a portable generator, making it easy to use. The efficient design makes it perfect for outdoor activities.
Portable generators can power large and small appliances alike in the case of a power outage. They also provide a means to use power tools or other equipment outside. Indeed, they’re ideal for camping and can provide you with energy for hours.
The 2000 series come with multiple types of power outlets. With these, you can charge AC and DC devices. It gives you more power options, making it suitable for multi-device use.
Inverter Generator Surge Power Protection
The 2000 Predator is an inverter generator. An inverter generator gives a more consistent amount of power at lower fuel consumption. Usually, they come fitted with electronic overload protection to prevent sensitive electronics from a sudden surge in power.
Inverter generators get their name because they use inverter technology — these are high-tech magnets that connect an engine to an alternator. The design produces AC power, which gets converted into DC power to run your items.
Low Oil Indicator to Protect Against Overload
The generator comes with a low oil indicator and overload protection. These components ensure that if you’re using it for power with lower fuel in the tank, that you are aware. It doesn’t abruptly cut out if you’re using it for delicate electrical equipment.
The 2000 is an excellent option if you want a quiet, reliable option with a long run time. The inverter generator design means it is usually less noisy than traditional generators.
The generator has fully enclosed, high-impact housing — a feature many people may need. The housing protects the entire unit from damage due to dropping it or using it in extreme weather. With the housing, you also get better protection from water damage. Also, the enclosure helps to reduce the overall noise.
Although this unit may not be the best option if you want power for extended periods, with a warranty of 90 days, it’s one of the best options for a low price.
What Will a Predator 2000 Run?
The generator has a 2000 watt output, so it can run a vast range of outdoor items. These include hedge trimmers, box fans, drills, air compressors, and motors.
The watts mean that you can use the generator almost every power tool and piece of outdoor equipment, small and large. The length that it can run for depends on the amount of fuel in the tank and the watts of the unit receiving energy. With good fuel consumption and reasonable price, the design of this inverter generator makes it ideal for use in the great outdoors.
One common question that users ask is, “Will Predator 2000 run a refrigerator?”
If you’re looking at predator generators for use inside your house, the 2000 watt Predator is a good option, too. You can use it to power a range of household devices like fridges, computers, televisions, and electronic keyboards.
This inverter generator can power:
- Toaster ovens
- RV refrigerators
- RV AC
- Demolition hammers and other tools
- Electronics – laptop, phones, speakers, etc.
- Power tools
- What Can It Not Power?
The Predator is a feisty little generator, but it has its limits. For example, it can’t handle something energy-draining like a hot water heater, and it won’t start up a larger air conditioner with 15000 BTU.
The starting power required for these larger units exceeds the capacity of a 2000 watt generator. The same unit could help keep these appliances running if you use a different unit to turn on the machine.
Predator 2000 Harbor Freight Warranty
Predator generators have a 90-day warranty, but it may or may not cover some generator parts. But the great thing about Harbor Freight Tools Co. is that they focus on giving you the highest quality and most durable products.
If you have a problem with the unit, such as a product defect, the company will either repair it or send a new unit as a replacement.
A full explanation and information about coverage and warranty are in the user manual.
How Much Oil Does a Predator 2000 Generator Take?
The Harbor Freight Predator Generator 2000 takes 13oz of oil. This amount is enough to keep the unit running for around 12 hours. It may need more or less fuel, depending on whether you’re using one or more outlets.
How Does the Predator 2000 Rate?
Customer reviews and ratings for this inverter generator seem satisfied. On Harbor Freight, the user ratings mostly range between 4 and 5 stars with a 98% customer recommendation rate. The average rating is 4.8 out of 5 stars, based on 1,963 reviews.
Most user reviews highlight:
- Easy start
- Lightweight and convenient
- Good run time
- Fuel efficiency design
- Great price
- Plenty of power
- Low oil indicator
- Super quiet
- Ideal for camping
- Portable generator design
Now that you know all about the Predator 2000 generator, the only thing left to do is decide if it’s right for you. We’ve created this quick comparison guide so that you can review the information figure out if it’s the right model for you.
- Size and Weight: The 2000 is one of Predator’s smallest generators. This compactness is excellent as it’s very portable and easy to move around if you’re using it outdoors. However, it does mean that it’s more likely to fall over in rough conditions than larger, more stable models.
- Power: The Predator 2000 provides 2000 running watts of power. This wattage is enough to power a couple of household items: for example, a microwave and a refrigerator. This amount is in the low to middle range of the generators they create, ranging from 700 watts to 13,500 watts when running. You can use this handy guide to see how many watts you’re likely to need.
- Special Features: Predator includes some excellent features to make their generators better than others on the market. The 2000 is no exception: inverter technology and excellent fuel consumption are just some of the outstanding features this generator has. Consumers have even explicitly stated that Predator generators are better than competitors like Honda.
Pros and Cons of the Predator Generator 2000
Predator generators are some of the best generators on the market for their price. You can easily purchase them online for the best convenience or from stores like Harbor Freight. With a range of features, let’s review what makes this generator stand out:
- Long Run Time: Although this generator is small, it has a long run time. The engine will operate for up to 12 hours with a full tank of fuel.
- Multiple Power Outlets: You can plug in a wide assortment of devices.
- Dependable: Predator generators are reliable and high quality, with services like air-cooled technology to keep it operational for a long time.
- Great Value: The unit is a reasonable price and one of the best for value for money.
- Reduced Noise: The unit is incredibly quiet, running at around 61 decibels. This noise level makes it ideal for outdoor trips.
- Safe for Extended Use: The air-cooled engine makes it safe to use for a longer time.
- Device Connectability: You can connect it to additional equipment to improve outlets and output.
- Warranty and Quality Guarantee: The extensive warranty coverage indicates the company believes in its quality if it is willing to provide generous parts coverage.
- No Fuel Guage: It doesn’t include a fuel gauge like some generators, making it difficult to see how much gas remains in the tank.
- May Tip Over: Although its lightness makes it easily moveable, it can mean that it falls over easily. Make sure you store it on a flat surface.
Verdict: Are Predator Generators Any Good?
The Predator 2000 is an excellent option for a very reasonable price. It’s compatible with other equipment, like an RV ready parallel kit for additional outlets, making it perfect for all your outdoor and indoor needs.
If you want a small, easily moveable generator that will provide reliable power for various equipment, this generator is exactly what you need. It is also ideal for powering your home if you experience an electricity outage. With the safeguarding technology, it’s all you need to keep your electrical devices going all night.
We hope our guide has been helpful and you can see what a handy piece of equipment this generator is.
In the interest of transparency: We are a participant in the Amazon services LLC associates program, providing you with information linking to Amazon com. The affiliate advertising program designed to provide you with top-quality reviews also allows us to receive a small percent from the services LLC associates program, an affiliate advertising product review scheme.
Scott Krager purchased generatorgrid.com in the summer of 2020 and quickly began to buy every generator under the sun! He currently has over a dozen generators and the number is growing quickly. He lives in Portland, OR near his family and friends.