GeneratorGrid.com is an independent review business. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more generators for testing. - Scott Krager
If you’re like the millions of people in the United States that love camping, you’re probably searching for the best portable generator to power long getaways. You’ll need a lot of power and reliable machinery if you plan to get years of use out of your generator.
If you’re considering buying a Westinghouse iGen4500df but don’t know whether it’s right for you, you’re in the right place. We’ve created this review and buyers guide to help you understand all about this dual fuel inverter generator and what it can be used for.
Read on for all the facts about the starting watts, fuel efficiency, run time, and other key topics you want to know before buying a portable inverter generator.
Table of Contents
- Features and Functions
- What Are the Power Capabilities with Gas and Propane?
- What Can I Use the iGen4500df Westinghouse for?
- What Can’t The iGen4500df power?
- Pros and Cons
- Reviews and Ratings
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Verdict: Should You Buy The Westinghouse iGen4500df?
- Westinghouse iGen4500df
Features and Functions
- Power output: AC voltage of 120V and AC frequency of 60HZ.
- Fuel Capacity: 3 4 gallon capacity (12.8L).
- Run time: ability to run for up to 18 hours on either fuel.
- Fuel Gauge: it comes with a fuel gauge, yes. This makes it easy to see the fuel level, giving it 5 stars for ease of use.
- Voltage meter: Comes with an automatic voltage meter to check power.
- Outlets: Comes with a TT 30R outlet
- LED data center: The LED data center makes it easy to use, even if you’re a complete beginner. Quickly be alerted to things like low oil without a complicated process of checking through the LED display.
- Noise level: 52 DBA — a 5 stars option for camping.
- Harmonic distortion: Total harmonic distortion of <3%
- Battery: Battery included for easier use.
- USB ports: It has built-in USB ports for you to connect your electronics easily.
What Are the Power Capabilities with Gas and Propane?
Powered with Gasoline
- 3700 running watts. This is enough for most major power equipment and residential use.
- 4500 peak watts. It’s RV ready.
- 30 amp running amps and 37 peak amps.
Powered with Propane
- 3330 watts when running. The rated watts are slightly lower when using this fuel.
- 4050 peak watts. This is slightly lower than the performance when powered by gas.
- 28 amp running amps and 34 peak amps.
What Can I Use the iGen4500df Westinghouse for?
Can I Use the iGen4500df for camping?
One of the best things about this product is how versatile it is. On the one hand, the low tone mufflers and total harmonic distortion make it ideal for camping or other outdoor pursuits. It’s much quieter than your average generator, and the enhanced fuel efficiency means that you don’t have to transport lots of propane or gasoline to keep it running.
You can also easily check the remaining run time to ensure that the fuel doesn’t run out if you need to use it for a long time. It also comes with a tt 30r RV ready outlet, making it perfect for connecting.
However, the generator is also a great option if you want to use outdoor power equipment, and you’re not close to a normal source. The circuit breaker and control panel make it easy to use, and you can quickly review the statistics to make sure it’s compatible with your equipment.
The electric remote start also makes it a great option. Just remember that the warranty is only one year if you’re using it commercially.
Can I Use The iGen4500df to Power My Home?
After doing a thorough review of its power capabilities, we think the iGen 4500df is worth buying to run your house if you experience an electricity outage. It will immediately turn on and fill your entire home with the electricity your family needs to live normally.
If you want a generator to constantly power your home, you might want to invest in a bigger standby generator with a higher fuel level. The iGen4500df is a great option if you want a generator to power your home for a short time in case of a power outage.
Based on the 18 hour run time, combined with cooling fans and low tone, we can recommend this product for your emergency needs — plus the remote start makes it easy to use.
What Can’t The iGen4500df power?
This generator is not suitable to run a large amount of equipment indoors or outdoors.
To make sure that this generator is suitable for your home, calculate the watts needed to power your equipment and make sure it’s compatible with its output.
Pros and Cons
Now that you know whether this portable inverter generator is compatible with what you need to use it for, the only thing that’s left to do is decide whether you want to purchase it or not. We’ve made some pros and cons so that you can make an informed decision.
- Easy to start and use: With a key fob and electric start, even those with minimal experience using the product can quickly figure out how to get it going. Just use the manual quick start guide.
- LED display: It’s also easy to see if you have issues like low oil, so you can easily figure out what your product needs to run smoothly.
- Inverter technology: It’s very quiet, which is ideal for camping or other outdoor use.
- Dual fuel technology: It’s easy to power, and you can choose how many watts you want it to have.
- Compact and light: Compared to other models, and it’s designed to be easily portable.
- 18 hour run time: It can power your house overnight if needed.
- Extensive warranty: On the off-chance you get a faulty product, you can get it fixed for free.
- Engine size: 3 4 gal, meaning that you can’t leave it going for days without topping it up: if you wanted a generator for long term residential use, you might want to choose a different model.
- Outlets: Does not come with GCFI outlets. If you review your needs and really want this feature, the iGen4500df may not be for you. However, it comes with a TT 30R outlet, making it great to connect to an RV or similar vehicle. Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R).
- Lightweight: it can topple over if you leave it on uneven ground, but just take care with it, and you will be fine.
Reviews and Ratings
If you want to know more about the Westinghouse iGen45000df and how great features like electric start and the key fob work, you can easily find some great information by looking at customer reviews.
A big theme running through these reviews is how the push button and remote start make the product really easy to use. Many beginners purchased the product and were pleased to figure out how it operated thanks to the key fob and manual.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s a Dual Fuel Generator, and What are the Benefits?
The fuel tank is compatible with either, although the running watts on gasoline are 3700 and the running watts on propane are 4050. There are some differences in peak watts and starting watts. This makes them more versatile than traditional generators. With a run time of 18 hours, they are fuel-efficient.
Is the iGen4500df a Portable Generator?
If you’re looking for a generator that you can regularly move, particularly for outdoor activities or power in remote locations, we recommend this product.
This is not to say that you can’t use this great generator in your home. With a variable engine speed and insulated acoustic enclosure asymmetrical cooling, the iGen4500df is great for any location.
What’s Make an Inverter Generator like the iGen4500d Different than Other Types?
The inverter technology makes the model iGen4500df ideal for sensitive electronics as the compact and powerful design prevents power spikes. It also gets 5 stars for being fuel-efficient — in review, it’s an ideal choice if you need a product with enhanced fuel efficiency and voltage regulation.
Inverter generators are usually quieter than non-inverter generators, and the iGen4500df is no exception. Not only is the engine super low in volume, but it contains a double insulated acoustic enclosure asymmetrical cooling fans, which contain tone mufflers to reduce noise. This makes this a great option for camping or other outdoor activities as it won’t ruin the peace and quiet of your surroundings.
Does This Generator Come With a Warranty?
If you are using it for commercial use, the warranty lasts for one year. Not only is this useful if something happens to your generator, but it shows that Westinghouse takes its commitment to quality and customer service very seriously. The company has so much confidence in its products that the team is happy to offer you a full replacement or repair if it’s not meeting its powering capabilities.
Verdict: Should You Buy The Westinghouse iGen4500df?
The Westinghouse iGen4500df is a great generator that’s perfect for both outdoor and indoor needs. The inverter technology is super quiet and fuel-efficient. The low weight and compact size mean it’s easy to transport, whether in an RV, camping, or using power tools.
The electric start and data center make it easy for even a complete beginner to get going: just look at a review online to see the 5 stars ratings if you needed to be convinced!
Although it’s not the right choice if you want a long-term generator to power your house, the Westinghouse iGen4500df is ideal for brief power outages and camping trips.
With great inverter technology and the ability to use two different fuels, this versatile piece of equipment will be a big help to you wherever you go.
Scott Krager purchased generatorgrid.com in the summer of 2020 and quickly began to buy every generator under the sun! He currently has over a dozen generators and the number is growing quickly. He lives in Portland, OR near his family and friends.