Last Updated on October 16, 2022 by Manager Access
Have you been searching for a portable inverter generator? There are hundreds of them on the market, which can be a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, you have seemingly endless options at your disposal. But, how are you supposed to find the right one without breaking the bank?
To help you narrow down your decision, we have reviewed the Champion 3100-Watt Inverter Generator! This generator has an impressive 3100 starting watts and 2800 running watts. It’s an affordable power solution for homeowners, RV drivers, and workers.
We’ll cover everything you need to know, including its features, functions, pros, cons, and FAQs.
Champion 3100-Watt Generator Specifications
- Product weight: 94.8 pounds
- Product dimensions: L 22.4 x W 17.3 x H 18.3 inches
- Color: Black and yellow
- Wattage: 3100 starting watts and 2800 running watts
- Body material: steel
- Wheels’ material: rubber
- Folding handle material: plastic
- Gas fuel tank volume: holds 1.6 gallons of gas
- Oil fuel tank volume: holds 0 6 quarts of oil
- Run time: up to 8 hours of run time at 25% load
- Engine type: 4-stroke
- Inverter: equipped with a 120V 30A RV (TT-30R) two plus two 120V 20A household outlets
Features and Functions of the Champion 3100-Watt Inverter Generator
Are you curious as to how the Champion 3100-Watt Inverter Generator works? To get a better understanding, you can read about this product’s notable features and functions:
- Gasoline operation: This RV-ready portable generator runs on regular unleaded gasoline. You won’t have to go out of your way to purchase mid-grade or premium gas. Your wallet will definitely thank you for this in the long term. Plus, you will get up to 8 hours of run time at 25% load.
- Smart Economy mode: The 4-stroke engine can operate in something called “Smart Economy” mode. This Economy mode decreases electrical load whenever you power a device. As a result, you will experience more efficient power output, prolonged engine life, and better fuel economy.
- Never-flat tires: Are you constantly on the go? Maybe you need to go back and forth between different job sites on the same day. Or, maybe you’ve caught the travel bug and are always on the road. In any case, this generator is built for transport. Its never-flat tires are built to roll over tough terrain and help you transport your generator wherever you need it to go.
- Quick touch panel: The quick touch panel is neatly organized and gives you an easy way to access all your controls in one spot. The 12V DC automotive-style outlet, 120V 30A outlet, dual USB adapter, and other components will be right at your fingertips.
- Low oil shut-off sensor: This product has a 0.6 qt. oil capacity. The low oil shut-off sensor will come on when your engine’s oil levels are low. With this light on, you will know when it’s time to refill your oil capacity.
- Engine reliability: A reliable 171cc engine powers the Champion 3100. Even though it runs on gasoline, this engine promotes clean power (less than 3% THD).
- Electric start: It’s effortless to get this generator up and running. Simply push the remote control button or flip the switch on the product itself.
What Can It Power?
The Champion 3100’s 4-stroke engine can power a lot of appliances around your home, worksite, and RV.
Champion Power Equipment describes this product as “RV-ready,” so you can expect it to power appliances like:
- Slow cookers
- LED/LCD TVs
- Work lights
- Game consoles
- AC units
If you have a big project to complete, this 4-stroke engine generator can power tools like pressure washers, belt sanders, and chainsaws. However, I have found it most suitable for campers and homeowners rather than construction site workers.
Does This Portable Generator Have Any Limitations?
This RV-ready, portable generator is powerful, but it may not meet your energy needs. Before you buy a generator, you must consider how much power you require.
If you only need power for a few appliances, this product will likely meet your needs. Those who need to power an entire home or worksite may need a bigger generator.
To get a better idea of the number of wattages you’ll need, you can consult the guide on Champion Power Equipment’s website called “Choosing a Generator.”
What’s the Warranty on This RV-Ready Portable Generator?
The Champion 3100 comes with a three-year limited warranty. This warranty covers defects in the materials’ workmanship (parts and labor) for the product’s first three years.
If you submit a product to be replaced or repaired, the transportation charges will fall on you.
To qualify for the warranty, you will need to register your product on Champion Power Equipment’s website. I recommend registering within 10 days of your purchase date to avoid any issues.
What Else Will I Receive with My Purchase?
When it comes to customer service, Champion Power Equipment will not leave you out to dry. Your purchase comes with free lifetime technical support. Champion Power Equipment’s experts will be ready to help you get optimal use of your product.
Like with the warranty, you will need to register your product to qualify for lifetime customer support access.
What Are Customers Saying about the Champion 3100-Watt Inverter Generator?
The majority of customers have had positive experiences with the Champion 3100-Watt Inverter Generator, from what I’ve read. It offers optimal power output, and the 12V DC outlet can safely deliver power to many portable electronics and appliances.
A lot of Champion 3100 customers really appreciate the additional safety features. Champion Power Equipment is known for prioritizing safety, and this 3100-watt inverter generator is no exception. The brand has incorporated several additional features to ensure safe operation.
Most customers enjoy the simplicity of the fuel source. This generator runs on regular unleaded gasoline, so you won’t need to seek more expensive mid-range or premium options. Some customers opt to use a Sea Foam additive to protect the engine against ethynol damage. This step is completely optional, but it’s worth considering. When used in moderation, customers have found the additive to prolong the life of their engine.
While most customers don’t mind that this generator runs on gasoline, others are more environmentally-conscious. If you want this generator’s perks but want to use an alternative fuel source, you can! You can purchase a separate kit that will let you run your generator on natural gas or propane. This addition will cost an extra $200 or so, but it has proven to work well for many users.
Pros & Cons of the Champion 3100-Watt Inverter Generator
Like with anything in life, the Champion 3100 comes with pros and cons. Does the good outweigh the bad? Explore the advantages and disadvantages for yourself below:
- Fuel efficiency: Whether you need power for your home or RV, the Champion 3100 offers it efficiently. It’s EPA-certified and CARB-compliant, meaning that it works hard without inflicting unnecessary harm to the environment.
- Produces clean power (less than 3% THD): Are you worried about damaging your sensitive electronics by using this product? Luckily, the Champion 3100 produces clean power for sensitive electronics like computers and certain video/audio components.
- Easy to store and transport: This generator will go with you wherever you need it to. It comes with convenient fold-down handles and never-flat tires for easy storage and transport.
- Customer service and support: Your purchase includes a 3-year limited warranty with free lifetime technical support from dedicated experts. These professionals will be on standby to answer questions and address concerns.
- Ultra-quiet operation: Compared to other similar generators, the Champion 3100 operates quietly at a noise level of 58 dba. Thanks to its ultra-quiet operation, you won’t need to wear hearing protection equipment to operate this product safely.
- Well-rounded safety features: When it comes to safety, the Champion 3100 doesn’t fall short in any sense. It includes several features to ensure safe operation. For example, the oil warning light will let you know when you need to add more oil. For further peace of mind, the engine will not run when this light is on. Whenever the generator is overloaded, the overload indicator light will turn on, and it will cut power to the receptacles. To prevent electrical overload, the three circuit breakers are situated on the power panel.
- Hard to find: One of the biggest drawbacks to the Champion 3100 is that it’s hard to find. Just when you decide to buy it, you may not find it in stock. From my experience, Champion Power Equipment seems to be out of this product a lot of time. You will likely have to check the website frequently to secure one for yourself.
- Transportation charges on the warranty: If you need to submit your product for replacement or repair, you will need to cover all transportation charges. However, it’s unlikely you will need to use the warranty at all. Champion Power Equipment is well-known for its durable, high-quality products. And, the company’s support team will be able to help you through operational issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about the Champion 3100, how it works, or what to expect from it? Read the answers to some of the most commonly-asked ones below!
How loud is a Champion 3100-watt inverter generator?
For a generator with 2800 running watts, you may expect it to be incredibly noisy. However, the Champion 3100 only operates at about 58 dba, which is about the same noise level as normal conversation. Keep in mind that customers report that the generator is distinctly louder on the exhaust side. However, this shouldn’t be a huge issue, especially if you are in an open area like a construction site or campground.
What’s beneficial about this generator’s electric start feature?
The Champion 3100 is easy for anyone to operate, even if this will be your first time owning a generator. To turn it on, all you have to do is flip the convenient electric start switch. For added convenience, the electric start includes a battery and a 3-position ignition switch.
What basic safety precautions should I follow when using this generator?
As we’ve mentioned earlier, the Champion 3100 was designed for use by the average consumer. You don’t need any special tools or techniques to operate it properly. The electric start design makes it simple to turn on and off.With this in mind, know that this portable generator produces a powerful voltage. You will need to exercise care during use. Here are some basic safety tips to follow when using the Champion 3100:
- Always operate it in an open outdoor space (never use it indoors)
- Do not touch bare receptacles or wires
- Do not operate it in rainy or otherwise wet conditions
- Do not let any unqualified persons, including children, operate it
I strongly advise you to read the manual thoroughly before operating the Champion 3100. Even if you have experience with using similar products, you should familiarize yourself with any differences present in this one.
Why should I buy my generator from Champion Power Equipment?
Founded in 2003, Champion Power Equipment has been around for nearly 20 years. Since its inception, the company has sold more than 2.5 million generators to customers across North America. Consumers in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico have trusted the company to meet their power needs. Champion Power Equipment has consistently designed, manufactured, and distributed high-quality products. Its generators are durable and reliable, and they have lasted for years for many consumers.
Should I consider a different generator from Champion Power Equipment?
The 3100-watt inverter generator is a solid pick for homeowners, campers, and construction workers. However, this product is not the only generator Champion Power Equipment makes. You can opt for similar models with features like dual-fuel capabilities and remote start options.
Depending on your power needs, Champion Power Equipment has the portable generator you need. It has products with running wattages ranging from 1,200 to 12,000 watts.
Verdict: Is the Champion 3100-Watt Inverter Generator Worth It?
From extensive research, we can safely say that this portable inverter generator is well worth it! Providing quieter operation, extended engine life, and enhanced performance, this CARB-compliant generator will serve you well for years to come.
It comes with many perks like a low oil warning indicator, dual USB adapter, comprehensive quick touch panel, and an electric start switch. This portable generator’s many features make it much more convenient than a lot of its competitors.
The 3-year limited warranty and free lifetime support are great securities in case you experience any difficulties.
If you want to buy this EPA-certified and CARB-compliant generator, go for it! You are guaranteed to get a lot of use from it in your RV, home, or worksite.
Scott Krager purchased generatorgrid.com in the summer of 2020 and quickly began to buy every generator under the sun! He currently has over a dozen generators and the number is growing quickly. He lives in Portland, OR near his family and friends.
GeneratorGrid.com is an independent review business. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more generators for testing. - Scott Krager