GeneratorGrid.com is an independent review business. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more generators for testing. - Scott Krager
Generators are crucial to keeping your home or business running smoothly in the case of a power outage or limited electricity supply. After all, the US experiences thousands of power outages every year. When this happens, you need a generator to save the day.
Now, with the abundance of options, information, and reviews on different generators, which do you choose? Finding the right one can be a challenge—which brings us to this guide. We’ve reviewed dozens of options and bring you all the details on the Generac GP5500.
Generac’s 5500 is a popular model currently circling the market. Learn if it lives up to the hype here.
Table of Contents
- Features and Functions
- What Can a Generac GP5500 Power?
- Reviews and Recommendations
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Pros and Cons of the Generac GP5500
- Verdict: Is the Generac 5500 Worth It?
- Generac GP5500
Features and Functions
The brand Generac has a reputation for selling reliable portable generators, among them the Generac GP5500. This model offers watts 5500, designed to provide electricity on items ranging from household appliances to outdoor tools.
Its main features and functions include:
- Never-flat wheels that are heavy-duty make it easier to move the generator across various terrain.
- Reliable hour meter tracks intervals of maintenance.
- Fold-down, locking handle makes it easier to transport and improves compact storage.
- Hardened 1 1/4 7 steel tube cradle provides durability and extended strength potential.
- A large-capacity steel fuel tank with an added fuel gauge provides durability that some generators are lacking.
- Voltage regulation ensures safe use.
- Covered outlets provide extra protection if you’re using the product in a rugged environment.
- Generac OHV engine with splash lubrication offers added durability and strength.
- Low oil level shutdown automatically safeguards the engine from damage.
- Large fuel tank capacity allows for 7.2 gallons.
It’s also worth mentioning that the Generac GP5500 portable model has a 49-state control panel, 30 amp cord, and an AC rated output running watts of 5500. It can operate for up to 12 hours with a full tank of gasoline.
Finally, Generac also offers a generous warranty 2 years. If you have questions about the warranty, please contact the Generac customer support team for more information.
Low Oil Level Shutdown
One of our favorite features of the Generac GP 5 500 is the low oil level shutdown feature. This shutdown automatically safeguards engine from damage, ensuring that your product has a long engine life and stays in excellent condition.
This feature also makes the generator easier for beginners to use as you can easily see when your oil or gasoline need topping off without having to search hard for the information.
Whether you’re using the GP5500 for emergency use or heavy-duty support, this feature will come in handy.
Durability and Extended Run Times
Some generators seem to die almost immediately, but we love the durability and extended run times that Generac generators have.
The inverter technology and fuel efficiency provides a long engine life and run time, so you can use the Generac GP5500 to power your house through a prolonged power outage or to provide electricity during a camping trip.
There are also added features like the hardened 1 1/4 7 steel tube cradle to ensure that your generator has protection from those occasional bumps.
With a 5500 running watt power, you’ll have everything you need for all situations. You’ll have a reliable generator that will last you for years, with an excellent warranty to show that Generac means what they say.
What Can a Generac GP5500 Power?
The never-flat wheels and fold-down locking handle mean that this portable generator can be useful for many things that you may need to charge on the go. With its substantial voltage, it’s an excellent option for powering camping equipment like lights or a stove. Always be sure to read the safety information and ensure that you’re not using it in a confined space where fumes from the product could be harmful to your health.
Customer reviews show that the Generac GP5500 is also a good product for powering your house. The twist lock and circuit breaker equipment ensure that it won’t damage any delicate equipment, and the splash lubrication provides a long OHV engine life. At quarter capacity and with a full tank of fuel, the GP5500 can provide electricity for your home overnight if you experience an electricity outage.
Reviews and Recommendations
Although the best way to find out if the Generac GP5500 is the right generator for you is to try it out yourself, you can also learn even more by reading reviews online. Generac is a well-respected company, and lots of people have described how the GP5500 has boosted their business and home life.
The Generac GP5500 is a great option and provides a high-quality guarantee and extended warranty that is not certain from many competitors. We love how many people have left great feedback. The 5 stars reviews speak for themselves. Also, we appreciated how friendly Generac’s customer service team tends to be.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Generac GP5500 a portable generator?
The GP5500 is useful for transporting an electrical supply to remote areas, perfect if you want to go camping, hunting, or fishing in an area without regular power. Portable generators usually have a smaller fuel tank than larger generators to make them easier to transport. They may come fitted with features like never-flat wheels or a steel tube cradle for added durability.
However, while on the smaller side, this product can be compelling. It offers 5500 watts, which can power major household appliances.
How big of a generator do I need to run a house?
The OHV engine with splash lubrication provides a long engine run time. The oil level shutdown automatically stops the generator if the oil level gets low to ensure that none of your delicate electrical appliances get damaged. It’s also great for compact storage if your area rarely gets power outages.
However, if you’re aiming to run a large business or building for an extended period, you might want to choose a very large standby generator with a high number of starting watts and long engine life. That way, you can make sure that all of your equipment stays powered for 10 hours or more.
How long will a Generac 5500 run on a tank of gas?
The hour meter tracks intervals. What this means is that it measures the usage, letting you know when to check the fuel gauge.
Does it offer a low oil shutdown feature?
How much does a 5500-watt generator cost?
Overall, if you’re looking for a carb compliant generator that runs at around 5500 watts and starts at about watts 6875, the Generac GP5500 has positive reviews for a reasonable price.
Now that you know the great features of the Generac GP5500, the only thing left to do is to compare it to other options and check that it’s right for you.
- Weight: The GP5500 is in the middle of the range, with the smallest generator weighing in at only 84 pounds and the largest a whopping 390 pounds. In comparison, the GP5500 is 171 pounds, making it more stable than some models, but not as difficult to transport.
- Size: Similarly, the GP5500, which is 27.25 x 27 x 25, is in the middle of the Generac range of GP generators. They range from 22.75 x 16.75 x 17.2 to 48.5 x 31 x 39.5.
- Power: Most generators get powered with fuel gasoline, and the GP5500 is no exception. This model has a watt running power of 5500, making it in the mid-range of Generac’s GP generators, ranging from 1800 watt to 175000 watt running power.
- Added Durability and Strength: All models in Generac’s GP generators range have great features that will make your experience using it better. Our personal favorites are how the fuel gauge provides durability. Unlike some portable generators made by other brands, it provides durability and extended operating times. Also, the electric start system ensures that the GP5500 starts on the first pull.
Pros and Cons of the Generac GP5500
The best things about the Generac GP5500 portable generator are:
- 5-Star Ratings: The number of 5 stars reviews across the internet show that the GP5500 is a reliable option for emergency use. The warranty ensures that you’re comfortably covered for the next two years, even if there were issues.
- Easy Maintenance: The generator is easy to maintain, with features like the hour meter reminding you when it needs fuel or support.
- Versatility: The product is very versatile: you can use it to provide electricity for your house for a whole night if needed, but it’s also easy to move around for camping trips or using power tools in a remote location.
- Safety Mechanisms: The low oil shutdown feature makes sure that your generator and appliances are safe even if you run out of fuel.
- Durability: There are many great features for added durability, like the steel tube cradle and splash lubrication.
- Value: The OHV engine is a reliable and good value choice to power the generator, keeping the cost relatively low, but the quality high.
The worst things about the Generac gp5500 are:
- Noise: If you need a super quiet generator, the Generac gp5500 might not be right for you. Although it’s not known for being deafeningly noisy, you probably wouldn’t want it running outside your tent all night if you’re a sensitive sleeper.
- Environmental Impact: With green technology advancing, the Generac is a little behind when it comes to environmental credentials — it won’t waste your fuel, but there are more efficient options out there if you’re willing to pay a little extra.
- Run Time: If you need a generator to power a full building for an extended period, it might be better to get a standby generator. Although the Generac GP5500 lasts for around ten hours, so it is great if you occasionally need back up, it can’t provide electricity for several days.
Verdict: Is the Generac 5500 Worth It?
Overall, the Generac GP5500 is a reasonably priced, reliable, and easy-to-use portable generator, perfect for all your electrical needs. The sturdy wheels mean you can take it anywhere with you, whether after a natural disaster, camping, or anywhere else on the go. Plus, the product delivers on what it promises, with all the dependability you can expect from Generac.
When it comes to value for money, we rate it five stars. The two-year product warranty allows you the certainty that you’ll have a reliable generator for the future.
It’s clear that the Generac GP5500 has consumer safety and support in mind. The additional features like the fold-down locking handle and large capacity steel fuel tank are bonuses that make it easier for you to transport and use. Generac is a reliable company and produces sound equipment.
If you want a great portable generator for your outdoor and indoor needs, the Generac GP5500 is a portable, safe, and high-quality choice.
Scott Krager purchased generatorgrid.com in the summer of 2020 and quickly began to buy every generator under the sun! He currently has over a dozen generators and the number is growing quickly. He lives in Portland, OR near his family and friends.
Last update on 2022-06-25 Affiliate links & images from Amazon Product Advertising API