GeneratorGrid.com is an independent review business. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more generators for testing. - Scott Krager
Last Updated on October 16, 2022 by Manager Access
Choosing the right unit for your home, RV, or worksite can be difficult. Will it meet your energy needs? Does it have all the features you want? Do you need a reliable source of power?
No matter what your power needs are, the brand DuroMax is ready to step in. This brand is a reliable manufacturer of generators for various applications. Homeowners, travelers, and working professionals all trust DuroMax to supply the generators they need.
Table of Contents
- Features & Functions of the DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator
- What Can It Power?
- What Are This Portable Generator’s Limitations?
- The DuroMax XP4850EH’s Warranties & Extras
- What Are Customers Saying about the DuroMax XP4850EH?
- Pros & Cons of the DuroMax XP4850EH
- Looking for a Generator with an Electric Start?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How Loud Is a DuroMax Generator?
- What Is the Best Dual Fuel Portable Generator to Buy?
- Verdict: Is the Watt Dual Fuel Hybrid DuroMax XP4850EH Worth It?
- Duromax XP4850EH
The DuroMax XP4850EH can power anything, including a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools. It’s a user-friendly unit that provides 4 850 watts of power, so you’ll never be without the energy you need.
Below, you can check out everything you need to know about the DuroMax XP4850EH. This guide should help you decide if this generator is right for your home, worksite, or campsite.
Features & Functions of the DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator
Have you been looking for a generator that’s both efficient and environmentally friendly? The DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator offers the best of both worlds. You can operate it by using one of two fuel sources:
- Standard gasoline
- Cleaner-burning liquid propane
In a pinch, you can get by on standard gasoline. However, opting to use cleaner-burning liquid propane will help you decrease your carbon footprint.
Now that we’ve gotten the question of propane vs. gasoline out of the way, you may be wondering what else this generator has to offer. Check out the DuroMax XP4850EH’s important features:
- Product weight: The DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator weighs 122 pounds.
- Product dimensions: This dual fuel hybrid generator’s dimensions are 25″ L x 24″ W x 21″ H.
- Color: The unit is black and green.
- Windings: The generator’s windings are made completely of copper. This is one of the best things about XP4850EH’s construction! The copper windings hold up a lot better than the cheaper aluminum ones do.
- Construction: The unit’s body is made completely of metal. This durable construction will prolong its life. You can expect it to last for the long term, even when it’s used on rougher job sites.
- Gas tank volume: If you don’t want to use propane, the unit’s gas tank volume is 4 gallons. This large fuel tank capacity is convenient, so you won’t need to refill the fuel tank constantly.
- Runtime: On a full tank of gas, the DuroMax 4 850 Watt Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator can run for up to 8 hours. This extended runtime will help you complete your major projects without interruptions.
Do you have a question or two about how this unit works? Learn more about its specific functions below:
- Surge-arrest: Power surges are not to be taken lightly. If you don’t have the right protections in place, your appliances can overheat and become damaged. Luckily, the XP4850EH comes with a surge-arrest feature. This will protect your investment from a destructive surge.
- Low oil shut off light: Your generator can’t run on propane or gasoline alone. It also needs oil. If you run your generator with a low oil level, it may break down. To avoid any issues, the XP4850EH comes with a low-oil shutoff sensor. This protects the motor and keeps it running for the long term. The sensor is automatic, so you will never have to give your oil level a second thought. Just add more when the indicator light turns on.
- 7HP air-cooled engine: The unit’s 4-cycle air-cooled engine is a hardworking machine. It provides optimal power that can handle multiple jobs. Use this generator to power heavy-duty power tools and high-voltage appliances.
- Optimal power: The XP4850EH provides 4,850 starting watts. If this wasn’t enough, it also packs a punch and will keep you powered with 3,850 running watts. Don’t worry about this product being unable to handle heavy loads. It can operate refrigerators, lights, air conditioners, and other appliances you have on hand.
- Fuel gauge: You can quickly assess the generator’s gas level with the easy-to-read, built-in fuel gauge.
- Comprehensive power panel: This generator’s power panel has a good selection of outlets for optimal compatibility with your appliances. It has one 120 240V 30A twist lock outlet and two 120V 20a household GFCI outlets. It also has 12V DC charging posts you can use to charge external batteries.
- MX2 technology: The MX2 technology on this generator helps you get maximum power for each 120-volt receptacle. You can choose between operating the generator at 120V only with full power or at 120V and 240V at the same time.
- Additional features: This dual fuel hybrid generator comes with additional accessories like a funnel, wheel kit, propane hose, tool kit, and battery charging cables. It also has a handle you can use to wheel the unit around easily. The handle conveniently folds down out of the way when it’s not in use.
What Can It Power?
With 4 850 starting watts and 3 850 running watts, this generator can power virtually anything you can think of. It’s ideal for people who:
- Own recreational vehicles and embrace a nomadic lifestyle on the road
- Attend sporting competitions, outdoor festivals, and open-air performances
- Want to ensure they can power their home appliances even during unstable weather conditions
- Need to prevent power failures on worksites
This gasoline or propane unit can handle heavy loads from lights, refrigerators, heavy-duty tools, and more. Its versatility makes it ideal for any user with light or heavy power needs.
What Are This Portable Generator’s Limitations?
Smaller DuroMax generators can only provide enough wattage to power small appliances like tablets, smartphones, mini-fridges, and radios.
This DuroMax 4 850 Watt Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator doesn’t have any notable limitations when it comes to power. The 3 850 running watts this unit offers can get the most common appliances and tools running with no issues.
The DuroMax XP4850EH’s Warranties & Extras
The DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator comes with a 3-year limited warranty. This factory warranty won’t cover certain parts of the unit, so you must understand your warranty’s ins and outs before making your final purchase.
This unit also comes with a physical copy of the user manual. If you misplace your physical copy, the manual is available as a downloadable PDF on DuroMax’s website.
The user manual and warranties will give you peace of mind with your purchase. If an issue arises with the engine, electric start key switch, or another component, you can use the manual to work through it. If you can’t address the issue on your own, the warranty will likely cover it.
What Are Customers Saying about the DuroMax XP4850EH?
From the ratings and reviews we’ve seen, customers have positively received this DuroMax 4 850 Watt Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator.
Some big praises they had to sing about this unit involved its safety features. The automatic voltage regulation and low oil indicators help customers use the generator to its full potential.
It’s also no question that customers love the unit’s construction. They appreciate the thoughtful design, from its materials to its positioning on four isolated motor mounts. Customers have found this unit to withstand even the toughest outdoor conditions. And, the generator’s easy electric start option is another favorite feature among customers.
Issues with the DuroMax XP4850EH are few and far between. But, if you ever have a question about your generator, you can rely on the DuroMax support team. It is known for its responsiveness and knowledge.
Pros & Cons of the DuroMax XP4850EH
As with any generator on the market, the DuroMAx XP4850EH comes with pros and cons. Here are some of the positive and negative aspects of this product:
- Dual fuel technology: One of the DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator’s biggest perks is how you can use either propane or gasoline to power it. You can use either fuel type (gasoline/propane) to operate your appliances reliably.
- Long run time: This generator has a generous run time. Depending on the fuel source and load you use, the exact run time will vary slightly. For example, it can run for up to 8 hours on a 1 2 load of gasoline. On a 1 2 load of a 20lb propane tank, the generator can run for up to 9 hours.
- Durable construction: The DuroMax XP4850EH was not made cheaply. Its body is constructed entirely with metal, and it features high-quality copper windings. This unit is well-equipped to withstand outdoor use.
- Simple to use: This generator was designed to be simple to operate for any user. You can turn it on with the electric start button or use the more standard pull-start mechanism.
- Includes accessories: With your purchase, you won’t receive just the generator. You’ll also get extra accessories like an oil funnel, spark plug wrench, toolset, wheel kit, and DC charging cables.
- Noise levels: The DuroMax manufacturers had noise reduction in mind when they designed the XP4850EH. During use, the OHV engine holds a constant RPM level, which helps reduce noise. The built-in muffler also helps the unit run quieter.
- Smooth operation: This generator sits on a frame with four isolated motor mounts. This setup allows the entire generator to run smoothly on uneven terrains and in windy conditions.
- Maneuverability: This generator is technically “portable,” but this is a very loose description. It weighs more than 120 pounds, so it won’t be easy to lift and transport. This is unavoidable with generators of these capabilities. It is, however, situated on a set of wheels for easy ground-level transportation.
- No remote start: Some generators have an option to turn them on remotely. Unfortunately, the DuroMax XP4950EH doesn’t have this capability. This may be inconvenient when you are working on a large job site, as you will have to walk up to the generator to turn it on and off.
Looking for a Generator with an Electric Start?
A big question you might have when shopping for a generator is likely: How will I turn it on and use it?
This DuroMax 4 850 Watt Dual Fuel Hybrid Generator was designed with the average user in mind. It doesn’t require any excessive force or complicated techniques to turn on. It’s as easy as starting your car! It has a refined electric starter function with a simple on/off switch.
Even though this generator is start-type electric, you can still opt to turn it on with the traditional pull-start mechanism.
Plus, you can rest assured when you invest in this DuroMax unit knowing you have help on standby. If you ever have a question about your unit, the responsive staff will be ready to step in.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about the DuroMax XP4850EH? Check out a couple of commonly asked ones below!
How Loud Is a DuroMax Generator?
The DuroMax XP4850EH has a noise rating of 69 decibels. This is around the noise level of an air conditioner or typical conversation. It is not nearly loud enough to cause hearing damage. This is comforting, especially if you frequently work with a lot of loud power tools.
What Is the Best Dual Fuel Portable Generator to Buy?
When it comes to the “best” dual fuel portable generator to buy, there is not a single right answer. The perfect propane and gasoline generator will vary from person to person, depending on their preferences and planned applications.
The XP4850EH is great for people who want the freedom to choose between propane and gasoline and need to operate various appliances. It provides optimal power and is designed for safe operation.
However, this product may not be in some workers’ or homeowners’ budgets. Or, it may be too heavy to transport to where they need it to go. In conditions like these, you may need to invest in a generator that’s smaller or more economical.
Before buying a dual fuel generator, be sure to consider the appliances you own and how you plan to use your unit. This will help you purchase the proper generator that will meet your energy needs.
Verdict: Is the Watt Dual Fuel Hybrid DuroMax XP4850EH Worth It?
There is no question that DuroMax generators are reliable, well-built units, and the DuroMax XP4950EH is no exception.
The freedom and flexibility of fuel choice are some of my favorite things about this unit. You can hook up any size propane tank or fill the gas tank up at your convenience. Running low on propane and only have gas as an option? It won’t be a problem with the XP4850EH.
The benefits of this unit go far beyond the propane and gasoline fuel options. Users will get maximum power from each 120 240V twist-lock receptacle. This way, they can power anything they need to, including a table saw, lights, and a refrigerator to a home. The unit also has an easy electric start switch so that you can operate it with ease.
Scott Krager purchased generatorgrid.com in the summer of 2020 and quickly began to buy every generator under the sun! He currently has over a dozen generators and the number is growing quickly. He lives in Portland, OR near his family and friends.